Friday, June 10, 2005

Leviticus

What a trip. I finished reading Leviticus yesterday morning. Some of the laws were pretty insane, but I guess at the time it must have been common practice so God needed to tell the Israelites not to be engaged in certain things. A lot was said about 1. Sacrifices, 2. Sex, and 3. Mold. There are very specific guidelines as to how to deal with mold. Lots of opportunity for humour, if you ask me.

But really, I walked away from the book with two things: 1. People sinned as much then as they do now, and 2. We really needed Jesus to come and fulfill this law and be the sacrifice once for all. The amount of sacrifice required otherwise is crazy.

In the midst of the blessings for obedience and cursing for disobedience, God makes one simple statement that speaks to his faithfulness: 26:44-45 (CEV) - No matter what you have done, I am still the LORD your God, and I will never completely reject you or become absolutely disgusted with you there in the land of your enemies. While nations watched, I rescued your ancestors from Egypt so that I would be their God. Yes, I am your LORD, and I will never forget our agreement.

Next stop: Numbers.

No comments: