Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Daniel

Yesterday morning I arrived at my appointment at Denny's 45 minutes early. I brought along my Bible, anticipating the extra time, and cracked open Daniel in the parking lot. I'm not sure about how the order of books were determined in the Bible. Daniel was around before Ezekiel, accroding to the reference point of King Jehoiakim (Ezekiel's reference was Jehoiachin, who was after Jehoiakin). Ezekiel used a person names Daniel as an illustration, so it might be this Daniel.

Daniel was in Babylon durign the reign of King Nebuchadnezzer, King Belshazzer, King Darius and even King Cyrus. Specific examples are given as to how God had Daniel rise to prominent positions and showed His glory, even while in exile under their reigns. God made Daniel wise, and he and three others were protected because they obeyed God. I recalled promises God made that I read several books ago, that even in the land of their enemies, after they would be exiled, He would not forget the promise He made to them. It's neat to see that being fulfilled here.

The first half of Daniel is a narrative. The last half consists of Daniel's dreams and visions he had during the various kingships. Each vision was written with the explanation, but the explanation is as cryptic as the dream itself (in my mind). I find it odd that a couple of times God told Daniel not to tell anyone his dreams and visions, yet here I am reading about them. Then, in 12:9, it says "Daniel, go about your business, because the meanign of this message will remain secret until the end of time." That made me not feel so bad about not understanding it.

I think the thing that stands out in my mind after reflecting on Daniel is captured in these two passages:

2:21 - "You control human events - you give rulers their power and take it away, and you are the source of wisdom and knowledge."

4:17b - "It will show to all who live that God Most High controls all kingdoms and chooses for their rulers persons of humble birth."

God was calling the shots in Babylon. It seems that they were more receptive to his directioon than his own people. Then, the last verse contains God's promise to Daniel. "So, Daniel, be faithful unto the end! You will rest, and at the end of time, you will rise from death to receive your reward."

No comments: