Friday, June 02, 2006

1 & 2 Peter

I was talking with a friend (and co-worker) earlier who, when I mentioned something from James, asked me if I knew how to study the Bible. I really didn't answer the question, but I'm not sure there is a lot of study required. Especially in the New Testament letters. For example, when Peter writes in 1 Peter 2:1 "Stop being hateful! Quit trying to fool people, and start being sincere. Don't be jealous or say cruel things about others" - there's really not a lot of debate to what he means. And later, when he says "Each of you has been blessed with one of God's many wonderful gifts to be used in the service of others" (1 P 4:10), I'm guessing he means to us eour gifts to serve other people.

I've attended Bible College and was raised in church, and I lot of things I was taught do not stack up against what I'm reading now. As well, although some things might be applied slightly differently from person to person and situation to situation, generally speaking there is not a lot of mystic meaning in what I've been reading. It's only been 'mystical' in the way I realize it applies to me and where I need to improve. So, for me, it's not so important that I study the Bible as much as I read and do the Bible.

Peter gives some great advice and instruction. "Don't be bossy to those people who are in your care, but set an example for them" (1 P 5:3). He also is clear in both letters that the church will suffer and that we should be happy about it. Suffering is Christlike.

But as much as he gives examples of what we shouldn't do, he also gives examples of what we can do. "Do your best to improve your faith. You can do this by adding goodness, understanding, self-control, patience, devotion to God, concern for others, and love. If you keep growing in this way, it will show that what you know about our Lord Jesus Christ has made your lives useful and meaningful" (2 P1:5-8).

Sounds pretty clear to me.

No comments: