Saturday, June 03, 2006

Revelation

It's been a year to the day since I started this trek of reading the Bible through and journaling my thoughts on the way. Yesterday morning, while Karen was still asleep and after I finished the three Johns and Jude, I read Revelation.

A couple days ago I mentioned that a friend had asked me if I knew how to study the Bible. My thought in response to that was that the Bible was pretty clear and that it didn't require a lot of dissecting. Generally speaking, it said what it meant and we just needed to do it.

Oops. While reading through Revelation, I recalled Song of Songs, and how it didn't make a lot of sense to me. Revelation is similar, in that there is a lot of imagery, and John often uses the phrases "what looked like" or "what sounded like" when describing something, so you never really know if he was describing a literal thing or event, or if it was his subjective response to it.

There are some things that are clear, though. The seven letters to the seven churches have very clear messages: return to your first love, don't worry about suffering, don't follow false teaching, don't be immoral, completely obey God, you'll be protected through testing because of your obedience, and don't be lukewarm, but make a decision and be hot or cold.

Then there seems to be a lot of symbolism during the description of the seven seals and the seven trumpets. There is talk of 144,000 chosen, of a dragon, of a beast who has a number that represents a person. There are times given and punishments described.

There are also recurring statements of larges groups around God's throne giving praise to him, and often throughout an angel makes the statement "God's people must learn to endure." As well, I noticed a couple mentions that all the leaders of the world, kings and the like, were bowing to God.

There are two sentences towards the end that for me speak volumes:

Rev. 21:7 - "All who win the victory will be given these blessings. I will be their God, and they will be my people."

Rev 22:17 - "The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come!' Everyone who hears this should say, 'Come!' If you are thirsty, come! If you want life-giving water, come and take it. It's free!"

All God has wanted from the beginning when he created Adam and Eve was to be in relationship with is creation. He gave us opportunity to respond, and it is free. However, at the end, those that don't accept will have their reward, and those who do will get to be with God forever. He wins.

No comments: