Sunday, June 25, 2006

My Bible Trek ... in summary

On Sunday, June 5, 2005 I remember sitting down in the dining room, opening to Genesis and diving in. I had been 'challenged' from the inside to read the Bible through, one book at a time, each book in one sitting (as much as was possible), and meditate on it. I wasn't looking for any deep revelation - just wanted to read it differently than I had before. I was also hoping to do it in less than a year.

On Saturday, June 6, 2006 I read Revelation. Just a day shy of one year.

It occurred to me at the beginning to blog my trek. Knowing me, I would not have journaled or taken notes otherwise. It was somehow cathartic to journal where everyone could see it, even though I put every safeguard in to not have it easily found, and not many people even read it. Even so, it's out there.

I mentioned to some friends what I was doing, and it was usually met with questions as to why I thought my thoughts were important enough to "publish." I've never said they were, but this process has certainly helped me in my own life and my own relationship with Christ.

I've never felt like I fit in. Still don't. I'm part of a culture that makes no sense to me - the Christian Church. Don't get me wrong, my relationship with Christ is the most important thing in my life and I try to put him first in all things. But there have been very few occasions where I have felt like I 'fit' at church. Everybody else seems to have God talk to them daily. Chris Rice wrote a lyric that says "I would take no for an answer, just to know I heard you speak" - referring to God. That's often how I feel. Usually I recognize something as God weeks after the fact.

But the journey of this past year has helped me understand his voice. I've gotten more familiar with his book, so now I more quickly recognize his promptings, because I know his character. The trick? I've read the Bible in a way that I understand it, that fits my personality - as a story.

So, the question is now this: What did I learn?

I've learned that God prefers to use screw-ups - people that don't have it together and are not likely candidates to the rest of us.

I've learned that God loves those who are poor, or orphaned, or widowed, or defenseless. If a person is part of a disenfranchised group, God loves them, and he looks favourably towards anyone who helps them. As a matter of fact, he expects the rest of us to defend them, to father them. He expects it so much that he modeled it for us.

I've learned that Jesus came for the sick, for those who didn't "know" him. He had all sorts of patience for them, and very little for those who claimed to "know" him.

I've learned that Jesus was more often than not trying to teach and preach when he performed miracles. The miracles were a 'sidebar,' an aside. He didn't put a lot of focus on them, just treated them as a normal occurrence for him and his followers.

And I've learned that God's economy and human economy are very, very different. God gave himself for people who rejected him. He wanted so much to be in relationship with his creation, even though his creation was of no value to him, that he gave himself for it - just because of love.

So, in all, I've learned that I need to love as Christ loves, that I need to be more concerned about what I can do for others, not what they can do for me. I need to accept the grace that has been given to me, that nothing that I have done has earned me this grace. I need to accept that God will still use me even if I don't get it right, and that he is my biggest advocate.

So here I am, a year later. I think I've grown. Now, more than ever, I'm sure of my calling to work with people that society pushes to one side. I want my life to be a daily example of God's undeserved kindness.

No comments: