Thursday, March 09, 2006

Habakkuk

This is a conversation between Habakkuk and God. Habakkuk complains about the violence and injustice in Israel, God says he's sending the Babylonians to destroy Israel and punish it, then Habukkuk takes issue with a country like Babylon executing judgement on Israel. God then says Babylon will be punished later.

A key statement that stands out for me is 2:3 & 4 - "You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting - it will happen. I, the Lord, refuse to accept anyone who is proud. Only those who live by faith are acceptable to me."

Habukkuk ends his writing with praise: "But I will still celebrate becasue the Lord God saves me. The Lord gives me strength." (3:18-19). Then, he writes a note to the music director, tellign him to use stringed instruments. He was so confident in his statements that he encourages it to be sung about.

No comments: