Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Haggai

I read Haggai through twice yesterday morning to try and see how it might apply to me. My pastor taught us that's how we need to read - asking the question: What is it saying to me?

Haggai, in short, shared his message after Israel was in exile, under King Darius. Haggai's message was to the people to stop focusing on their houses and start focusing on rebuilding the temple. 1:2-5 - "You say this isn't the right time to build a temple for me. But is it right for you to live in expensive houses, while my temple is a pile of ruins?"

What is it saying to me? I don't think I need to be giving money to building at the church, nor am I spending a lot on my house. For me, I think it is about priorities in general. At that time, God's presence lived at the temple, and he wanted his people to come back to him. Their lack of attention on the temple was indicative of their focus on themselves, not on God.

In my case, tonnes of things call my attention away from God. Problems at work. My and my wife's work schedule. The need for sleep. A plasma TV. OK, I'm not sure that the plasma TV is taking my attention away from God, but I really want one, and haven't had the release (or money, for that matter) to buy one.

I try hard to focus on what's important: God, family, work. But often it becomes work first, then I'm too tired to do anything else. Thank God for his grace. I know it's not a good excuse, but in the midst of my messed up priorities he still allows me opportunities to experience his presence and grow closer to him. Like Israel, my success has everything to do with God and little to do with me.

No comments: