Thursday, March 30, 2006

Malachi

The internet is cool. Right now I'm at a Holiday Inn in Kitchener, and they provide wireless internet access to their guests. So, I can read and then make my notes all at once.

Well, I did it. Malachi. I've finished the entire Old Testament. I read Malachi many times before, and have heard it quoted too many times to be counted regarding tithing. I am pleased to say that I do not struggle with tithing. My parents taught me from when I was a child, and I have seen the fruit of tithing. God has always been faithful to me financially, and my wife and I have never been without. Our bills get paid and we have stuff left over to live.

I don't agree with the whole "Prosperity Gospel" school of thought. A lot of people teach that Christians should be rich, and while God uses them in many ways, I don't particularly think that all Christians should be rich. What I mean by rich is that we should drive BMWs and live in big houses and all that. Right in Malachi it states again that we need to be taking care of the poor, so I don't see me hoarding up money being able to balance itself with the fact that there are still poor people.

But I'm not sure if my opinion is just for me or for all Christians. I really would like to buy a Dodge Magnum. It would be easily $40,000, with crazy gas consumption. I can't justify a purchase like that when a Civic or some other small car can get me around just find. Mind you, I like new cars, and some might disagree with buying new when you can get a used car for cheaper.

Malachi spends more time telling the priests what they are doing wrong then talking about tithing. I don't hear much preaching on that. Essentially, it boils down to them not doing what they said they would do (1:14).

And so, like so many of the other books that I have read, a couple verses / thoughts stand out to me:

3:5 - "I'm now on my way to judge you. And I will quickly condemn all who practice witchcraft or cheat in marriage or tell lies in court or rob workers of their pay or mistreat widows and orphans or steal the property of foreigners or refuse to respect me." And then the end of 3:7 - "But if you return to me, I will return to you."

God wants us to follow him, and here in Malachi he tells his people that he is sending his messenger and then he will come. His messenger "will lead children and parents to love each other more, so that when I come, I won't bring doom to the land" (4:6). God doesn't want to condemn, but the people brought it on themselves. All they had to do was give God their money, and take care of each other. If they did that, he'd be pleased.

No comments: