Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Micah

Jonah was a short read, and I had some time this morning, so I opted toread Micah and Nahum as well. Micah's message was well before the exile. The one theme I noticed more than others was his emphasis on injustice in Isreal and Judah. The justice system seemed to be corrupt, its participants using it for their benefit.

Micah said the same of the prophets and priests - that they preached nice messages as long as they were taken care of.

The verse that has always stuck out for me in Micah is 6:8 - "The LORD God has told us what is right and what he demands: 'See that justice is done, let mercy be your first concern, and humbly obey your God.'" This passage makes more sense to me when I read it in a context of a corrupt justice system. As leaders, there is a responsibility to ensure justice is done. I don't think this means enforcement on others, as much as it is praciticing it themselves.

No comments: