Monday, March 20, 2006

Zechariah

Well, Zechariah is my kind of prophet. Not only does God give him visions, but he also sends someone along to interpret. In each vision, Zechariah gets to see it, then ask the accompanying angel what it means. Why?

I think it is summed in the sentiment of 7:7 - "My message today is the same one I commanded the earlier prophets to speak to Jerusalem and its villages when they were prosperous, and when all of Judah, including the Southern Desert and the hill country, was filled with people."

They didn't get it. God sent all sorts of signs and messages, and his people still disobeyed. This time, he gives the message and to make it idiot-proof, has an angel standing by to tell Zechariah what it means.

And if 7:7 weren't enough, then there's the message: 7:8-9 - "So once again, I, the LORD All-Powerful, tell you, "See that justice is done and be kind and merciful to one another! Don't mistreat widows or orphans or foreigners or anyone who is poor, and stop making plans to hurt each other." Widows and orphans. How many times did God have to tell them?

I was at a funeral on Saturday. One of my pastors and I were talking about a previous guest speaker at church who pastors in Quebec. The Quebec church is growing and making a difference in its' community. My pastor told me that the Quebec pastor was told one piece of advice by a mentor when he started in ministry, and that everything else would fall into place. "Take care of the poor!" He said it like it was some huge revelation. Take care of the poor. How is it that we've read the Bible through and through, we've created Bible Colleges and Seminaries, built mega-churches and TV ministries, and we've missed it? Take care of the poor. It's all over Scripture. Why did I not see that before?

I'm about to get into the New Testament. That's all Jesus did - hung out with the disenfranchised. Why are churches (maybe not all of them) so pristine and clean? Ok, so maybe I need therapy.

Zechariah goes on to share a promise of prosperity for Israel and Judah and to tell of the One to come in humility who will rule with mercy and justice. Then there will be peace.

No comments: