Wednesday, May 24, 2006

1 & 2 Corinthians

There was a lot of familiar stuff in the two leters to the Corinthian church. I guess I have read each of them several times before. In the first letter, Paul talks about their not getting along as proof that they were not fully living for Christ. He also gives lessons in spiritual gifts and love. Love is about getting along with others. His instructions about the Lord's Supper was about getting along.

There's still a lot of 'not getting along' in church. It's not new. It's amazing that we're still not getting this right, after two millenia.

The second letter seems to me to have a bit of a sarcastic tone, but I'm not sure. I'll have to come back to it another time.

Clearly, though, he is writing and responding to some questions and specific issues. He says that a few times. Also, in 14:34, he says that the women must not be allowed to speak in church. Yet, in Romans, he tells them to welcome Pheobe who is a respected church leader. It isn't consistent unless it is issue based.

Unfortunately for me, I'm having a hard time concentrating, so the one lesson I'm getting from here is that we need to get along. For me, that means I must do my part not to tick off people, but to make every effort to live at peace with everyone. I shouldn't be promoting myself, I should be promoting others.

No comments: