Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ephesians

I had to memorize the first chapter of Ephesians in College. I did so successfully, from the New International Version. I've always liked Ephesians, especially 3:20-21. I use it sort of as a testimony. "I pray that Christ Jesus and the church will forever bring praise to God. His power at work in us can do far more than we dare ask or imagine. Amen." Specifically, "His power at work in us can do far more than we dare ask or imagine."

I've recited that phrase often as my own story. I won't reiterate it here, but suffice it to say that 15 years ago I did not, in my wildest dreams, imagine that I would be where I am today, doing what I do, knowing who I know and married to Karen. As a matter of fact, had someone told me, I would have mocked them. But, God has far exceeded my expectations and imagination.

That's why I am generally comfortable waiting on what God wants. I know in time, he will guide me along where he wants me to go and to what he wants me to do, often in spite of me; and I know he will because he has and because I'm willing (generally speaking!).

But as I read Ephesians again, Paul is emphasizing how Christ wants to use to church, and how we should live as members of his church. Yesterday I had lunch with an acquaintance, who I hope is becoming a friend. He's a believer, and he said he's looking for a church for middle-aged, cynical men. I can appreicate that. But we talked some more and I tried to help him understand (or perhaps I was trying convince myself) that the only way the church can be changed is for us to ask God to use us on the inside. Change it from within. One person at a time. Starting with me.

If we lived by the guidleines Paul outlines, church would be a welcoming place. "I beg you to live in a way that is worthy of the people God has chosen to be his own. Always be humble and gentle. Patiently put up with each other and love each other. Try your best to let God's Spirit keep your hearts united. Do this by living at peace." (4:1-3)

I'm trying. To let myself be changed.

No comments: