Monday, May 29, 2006

1 & 2 Thessalonians

I'm still having a hard time getting used to the short books in the New Testament. I sit back in my chair with my Diet Coke, prepared to settle in for a while, and I'm finished a book before I finish my Diet Coke.

There's a lot of focus given in both letters here to Christ's return. This, for me, was the topic of many sermons growing up. To be truthful, I don't know that I learned much more about the details around Christ's return from a lifetime of sermons than what I just read this morning. Here's how I see it: Jesus is coming back one day for his Church. We will be surprised when it happens, but not really. No one knows when it will be; some believers will have already died, others will be alive. The dead ones will get a head start and then the rest of us who are alive will be next. If anyone says otherwise (from what Paul said in these letters), they are wrong.

I think the most important phrase in all of it is "Encourage each other with these words" (1 Thess. 4:18). I don't believe that we are to get details about Christ's return as much as we can take comfort in the fact that he is coming back one day. It is meant to give us hope, not the scoop.

1 Thessalonians, according to the notes in my Bible, is thought to be Paul's first letter. I like his couple disclaimers at the beginning (1 Thess. 2:1-8). "We didn't have any hidden motives when we won you over, and we didn't try to fool or trick anyone." Also, "we didn't try to flatter anyone." I like that.

I also like his summary guidelines at the end of each letter. I like to think that he considers them of high importance, and by placing them at the end, they will be lodged in people's memories. For example:

"My friends, we ask you to be thoughtful of your leaders who work hard and tell you how to live for the Lord. Show them great respect and love because of their work. Try to get along with each other. My friends, we beg you to warn anyone who isn't living right. Encourage anyone who feels left out, help all who are weak, and be patient with everyone. Don't be hateful to people, just because they are hateful to you. Rather, be good to each other and to everyone else. Always be joyful and never stop praying. Whatever happens, keep thanking God because of Jesus Christ. This is what God wants you to do. Don't turn away God's Spirit or ignore prophecies. Put everything to the test. Accept what is good and don't have anything to do with evil" (1 Thess 5:12-20, bold is mine).

Also, at the end of 2 Thess., Paul warns against laziness, saying things like "if you don't work, you don't eat" (3:10).

It seems Paul's instructions, here and in other letters, are terribly simple. I apologize for the pop culture reference, but why is that we have to make things so complicated?

No comments: