Tuesday, May 30, 2006

1 & 2 Timothy

"Don't let anyone make fun of you, just because you are young. Set an example for other followers by what you say and do, as well as by your love, faith, and purity" (1 Tim. 4:12). Timothy was young, and this was one of several instructions Paul gave to him s a young leader. He also gave him lots of instructions about the work and leadership of the church.

Some of the things I highlighted are:

1. "First of all, I ask you to pray for everyone. Ask God to help and bless them all, and tell God how thankful you are for each of them." (1 Tim. 2:1, Gratitude)
2. "Take care of any widow who is really in need. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, they should learn to serve God by taking care of her, as she once took care of them. This is what God wants them to do." (1 Tim. 5:3-4, Priorities - I live next door)
3. "These people think religion is supposed to make you rich. And religion does make your life rich, by making you content with what you have." (1 Tim. 6:5b-6, People I know)
4. "Keep your mind on Jesus Christ" (2 Tim. 2:8, Why is it so hard?)
5. "Be humble when you correct people who oppose you." (2 Tim. 2:25, I'm in leadership)
6. "The time is coming when people won't listen to good teaching. Instead, they will look for teachers who will please them by telling them only what they are itching to hear." (2 Tim. 4:3, sounds like now).

Not a lot of reflection for me tonight. It has been almost forty degrees here today, and I've spent much of it outside at yard work. Not bright, I know. Now, it's TV time.

No comments: